Even in small amounts, insecticides and pesticides can be life-threatening to your pet. Because of this, it is important to make sure your pet is not around when you are using them. Products that contain organophosphates should be avoided particularly, as well as products aimed at snails and slugs.

There are several signs of poisoning that can vary depending on the type of toxin. Some of these include:

  • Vomiting.
  • Diarrhoea.
  • Increased urination.
  • Restlessness.
  • Hyperactivity.
  • Muscle twitching or shaking.
  • Seizures.

Please note: some manufacturers claim their snail baits are ‘pet friendly’. This claim is made on the basis that the bait includes a bittering agent. Bittering agents only act as a deterrent, and some pets may still eat the extremely toxic baits. We recommend that these products are used with great caution.

If you are concerned that your pet may have ingested one of these toxins, please call 08 9581 7766.